Douglas Westveer, MD
- American Board of Internal Medicine – 1978
- Subspecialty, Board of Cardiovascular Diseases – 1981
- Medical School: Michigan State University
- Internship: Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan
- Residency: Internal Medicine, Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan
- Fellowship: Cardiology, Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan
- Fellowship: Cardiology Electrophysiology, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois
Dr. Westveer treats general cardiology problems, and specializes in abnormalities in cardiac rhythm. He especially deals with issues relating to the function of cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators.
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Fellow, North American Heart Rhythm Society
- Fellow, American Heart Association
- Member, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, American Heart Association of Michigan
- Member, Utilization Review Committee, Hilton Head Hospital
- Attending Staff, Coastal Carolina Hospital, Hardeeville, SC
- Attending Staff, Hilton Head Hospital, Hilton Head Island, SC
Philosophy of Care
Dr. Westveer emphasizes patient education, and will ensure that patients understand their treatment plan, medications, and lifestyle choices that will affect their health and longevity.
Dr. Westveer was raised and educated in Michigan, and practiced in Detroit for over 30 years in the Beaumont Health System. He shared his practice time with administrative and research efforts, serving as Vice Chief and Chief of Cardiology for 20 years, and a member of the Board of Directors for none years. His wife, a longtime Hilton Head resident, lured him back from the Midwest to the Island six years ago to join a wonderful practice and very warm and cordial community.
Hilton Head Heart provides inpatient and outpatient consultation for all adult cardiac care. Testing includes electrocardiograms, echocardiograms, heart rhythm recording, and nuclear testing. We also supply monitoring and device assessment for patients with pacemakers and defibrillators.